Drink Coconut Water - Health Benefits of Coconut Water
Coconut water is the purest liquid second only to water. It has many health benefits and uses that you probably didn't know about. Coconut water is the liquid that is taken from unripe coconuts. If coconuts get ripe the liquid that is inside will harden and become a part of the white flesh of the coconut, which is used to make coconut milk. So, picking the coconut while it is unripe will ensure that the body gets all the benefits of coconut water.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
The water of tender coconut, technically the liquid endosperm, is the most nutritious wholesome beverage that the nature has provided for the people of the tropics to fight the sultry weather. It has a calorific value of 17.4 per 100 gm. The major constituents of coconut water are sugar and minerals along with some fat and nitrogenous substance. According to Ayurveda, it is unctuous, sweet, promotes digestion and clears the urinary path. The various health benefits of coconut water are listed below:
1. Coconut water is very effective in treating intestinal disturbances in infants. It kills intestinal worms.
2. Coconut water acts as an oral rehydration medium in case of dehydration.
3. External application of coconut prevents prickly heat and summer boils in body. It is also helpful in subsiding the rashes caused by smallpox, chicken pox and measles etc. it helps in keeping the body cool.
4. Coconut helps in keeping check over urinary infections. It is very effective in treating kidney and urethral stones. Coconut water is a significant urinary antiseptic that helps in eliminating the poison in case of mineral poisoning.
5. Coconut water aids in absorption of drugs taken by you, making their peak concentration in the blood by their electrolytic effect.
6. Presence of saline and albumin in coconut water makes it perfect drink for people suffering from cholera cases.
7. Coconut water forms an excellent tonic for old and sick people who find it hard to digest solid and even semi-liquid foodstuff. Coconut water provides them various minerals and vitamins which they otherwise could not get.
8. Coconut water also helps in curing malnourished people by providing them the required doses of vitamins and minerals.
Remember coconut water is a natural isotonic beverage with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It's a fluid of life. Here is some information about Coconut Water and health benefits of drinking coconut water:
- It's a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It's the fluid of life, so to speak.
- During the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water - siphoned directly from the nut - to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers.
- Most coconut water is still consumed fresh in tropical coastal areas - once exposed to air, the liquid rapidly loses most of its organoleptic and nutritional characteristics, and begins to ferment.
- Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol
- Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories
- Coconut Water is better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk
- Coconut water is naturally sterile - Water permeates through the filtering husk!
- Coconut water is a universal donor - Its identical to human blood plasma
- Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
- Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world war countries through Coconut IV.
- "Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural", according to Morton Satin, Chief of the United Nations Food & Agriculture Organization.
- Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.
- Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41 mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg!
- Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.
- Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg; compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.
Data is based on a 100ml drink
Coconut Water Health Benefits
1. Coconut Water Hydrates the Body
Coconut water is an isotonic solution which replaces the fluids and minerals that the body loses during physical activities. For this reason, many athletes and persons who work out regularly are encouraged to drink coconut water to replace all the minerals and fluid that they lose while working out. Even the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) attest to the benefits of drinking coconut water when it fought for a patent in 2000 to market coconut water as the next big sports drinks.
2. Coconut Water Relieves Urinary Problems
If you consume coconut water on a regular basis it can reduce urinary problems. People who suffer from strangury, polyurea and other urinary ailments drink coconut water to relieve their symptoms.
3. Coconut Water Kills Intestinal Worms
Drinking coconut water with one teaspoon of olive oil for three days will kill intestinal worms and clear the stomach of worms, which makes for better digestion.
4. Coconut Water Breaks up Kidney Stones
People who have kidney problems and are plagued by kidney stones should drink coconut water in addition to taking their medication. Drinking coconut water regularly helps to break up kidney stones making them easier to push out.
5. Coconut Water is used in Blood Transfusion
Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid. During World War II many wounded soldiers were saved in the Pacific because of emergency transfusion using coconut water as plasma.
6. Coconut Water is an Antibacterial
Coconut water contains monolaurin, an antiviral, antibacterial and antiprotozoal monoglyceride that is used to kill lipid-coated viruses such as HIV, Herpes, cytomegalovirus, flu and various pathogenic bacteria.
7. Coconut Water Controls Vomiting
Coconut water is great at reducing vomiting. People who have typhoid, malaria, fevers or other ailments that are known to induce vomiting drink coconut water to settle the stomach. As such, coconut water is also a good thing to drink during a hangover. Green or unripe coconuts can be found in Asian and West Indian markets. All coconuts that they sell are closed up to keep coconut water from losing its nutrients. So, if you plan on buying a coconut, you can ask someone to chop the coconut open or you can open it yourself at home and drink it.
Coconut Water During Pregnancy
Many doctors recommend drinking coconut water during pregnancy due to wide range of nutritional benefits of coconut water. Young coconuts which have green shells (as opposed to the brown mature coconuts) are the ones with the most water content; this water is called coconut water or coconut juice. Tender coconut water (nariyal pani) is one of the richest sources of electrolytes. It is high in chlorides, potassium, and magnesium and has a moderate amount of sugar, sodium and protein. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and heart function. Coconut water is also a good source of dietary fiber, manganese, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin C.
A natural isotonic beverage with similar levels of electrolytes as the human body, coconut water helps prevent dehydration and relieves exhaustion by replenishing the natural salts lost by the body; it is widely used in tropical countries as a means for oral rehydration needed during diarrhoeal attacks. It is essentially fat free and has zero cholesterol and some studies have reported that it can have some effect on improving "good" cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body. In the heat of summer when you are looking for something other than water to quench your thirst, you can have this nutritious and refreshing beverage instead of sugar and calorie laden aerated drinks and fruit juices. It is naturally sterile and so perfect for drinking while travelling without the fear of contamination.
Coconut water is a natural diuretic and so increases the flow of urine; this helps prevent urinary tract infections (UTI) as well as reduces the incidence of kidney stones. Coconut water also helps relieve constipation, improves intestinal function and promotes digestive health. It is often recommended to people suffering from acidity and ulcers. Constipation, sluggish digestion and heartburn are common problems during pregnancy and can be helped to some extent by drinking coconut water.
Coconut water contains high levels of lauric acid which is what is used by the body to make monolaurin - a disease fighting fatty acid derivative. Lauric acid has anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties which protect the body against various infections and boosts the immune system. With such wide ranging nutritional benefits it is no wonder that coconut water is recommended for pregnant women.