Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: Clear Icon Cache
Article ID: 413 | Rating: 4.5/5 from 2 votes | Last Updated: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:33 PM
|Symptoms||Corrupt / Missing Icons|
|Cause||Corrupted Icon Cache|
|Resolution|| Clear the Icon Cache
Delete %userprofile%Local SettingsApplication DataIconCache.db
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%AppDataLocal
DEL IconCache.db /a
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
|More Info||see also eIT KB 1421|