Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
Are you a programmer looking for to build your own iPhone application development? Does the thought of building your very own iPhone app make your heart race and your pulse quicken? If so, Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK is just the book for you. Updated and revised for iPhone SDK 3, many of the discussions in the original book have been clarified to make some of the more complex topics easier to understand. In addition, all of the projects have been rebuilt from scratch using the SDK 3 templates.
Assuming only a minimal working knowledge of Objective-C, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, this book offers a complete soup-to-nuts course in iPhone and iPod touch programming. The book starts with the basics, walking you through the process of downloading and installing Apple’s free iPhone SDK, and then stepping you though the creation of your first simple iPhone application. From there, you’ll learn to integrate all the interface elements iPhone users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You’ll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you’ll see how to save your data using the iPhone file system. You’ll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone’s built-in database management system. In addition, you’ll also learn about Core Data, an important persistence mechanism that has just been added with SDK 3.
And there’s much more! You’ll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You’ll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages. You can discover more about this book, download source code, and find support forums at the book’s companion site, at www.iphonedevbook.com
- The iPhone 3 update to the best-selling and most recommended book for iPhone developers
- Packed full of tricks, techniques, and enthusiasm for the new SDK from a developer perspective
- The most complete, useful, and up-to-date guide to all things having to do with Apple’s iPhone SDK
What you’ll learn
- Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone apps
- Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
- All code samples have been updated to follow current Apple coding conventions
- The autorotation code has been updated to use the new single-step fast autorotation instead of the original two-step method
- A new section has been added introducing Core Data, covering basic principles and showing how to build a simple Core Data application
- All the table view’related chapters have been updated to use table view cell styles. They’ve also been updated to use textLabel and detailTextLabel instead of the deprecated text property of the table view cell.
- All known errata have been corrected
- All projects have been rebuilt from scratch using the SDK 3.0 templates
- Many concepts have been clarified based on feedback and supplemented with information we’ve learned from another year of using the SDK